MenagerieHQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What defines "good" RP?

5 posters

Go down

What defines "good" RP? Empty What defines "good" RP?

Post by Bicep Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:38 am

Hello. I am somewhat new to any RP.
Bicep is a biker type, that acts rough and tough, but actually has a heart of gold. (Loves his Miller beer lol).
I see others (not in Menagerie) that go in there and the chat is almost X rated.
What in your minds would constitute as good, decent rp?

Thanks.
*Flexes*
Bicep
Bicep
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

What defines "good" RP? Empty Re: What defines "good" RP?

Post by AllastorDarkflame Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:00 pm

A good RP is determined by how believable and conceivable your character is (to you and other players), as well as how much depth you put into it. Coherence and eloquence are well appreciated, as well as good grammar in my opinion, butmost importantly, whatever happens IC (In character) should not have to traverse OOC (Out of character), and vise-versa. Godmodding and 4th wall breaking is not very advised.

I'm sure there's a lot more input from other RPers within the SG and outside of it.

Hope this helps!
AllastorDarkflame
AllastorDarkflame
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicep Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:29 pm

Thank you so much!
Bicep
Bicep
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

Post by PopTartManiac Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 pm

Another thing that defines 'good' rp is if you follow the rules and lore of the setting, for example in Champions Online, you cannot play an over powered 'god' character without limitations like they're a lot weaker on this universe or, they're an avatar or a fragment of said god, because CO's lore indicates that there is a ban in place, and gods cannot walk earth. another thing is if you're not a god but a superhero, you need to add certain limitations to how strong their powers are, and some weaknesses.

another good example as well is Club Caprice, where people like to pick super powered fights, where that woudn't be allowed by the bouncers, but they choose to ignore that.
PopTartManiac
PopTartManiac
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicep Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:55 pm

I keep it simple. Order a beer or two, maybe buy a round for everyone at the bar. See if I can meet new people.
Bicep
Bicep
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

Post by PopTartManiac Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:09 am

That's very good then.
PopTartManiac
PopTartManiac
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 pm

That's very good info Allastor and Yuuki!

I think an important part of RPing in groups is to make sure that your actions create a stimulus so each other member can respond as their character would.

Example 1
~*Throws a shoe and hits Crow in the head, knocking him out cold*~ There is not much of a stimilus for Crow to react to here. He was hit and knocked out.

Example 2
~*Throws a shoe at the back of Crow's head*~ This action allows for Crow to use his imagination to come up with his response. Does he dodge or catch the shoe? Does the shoe hit him and bounce off causing him to anger? Does the shoe knock him out? This allows him to react to the situation which in turn would allow your character to play off of his reaction.

This is just one of infinite examples. Also sorry for throwing shoes at the back of your head Crow. It had educational intent : )
Cat
Cat
Leader
Leader

https://menageriehq.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PopTartManiac Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 pm

LOL, that's a very good input.
PopTartManiac
PopTartManiac
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

Post by AllastorDarkflame Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Cat wrote:That's very good info Allastor and Yuuki!

I think an important part of RPing in groups is to make sure that your actions create a stimulus so each other member can respond as their character would.

Example 1
~*Throws a shoe and hits Crow in the head, knocking him out cold*~ There is not much of a stimilus for Crow to react to here. He was hit and knocked out.

Example 2
~*Throws a shoe at the back of Crow's head*~ This action allows for Crow to use his imagination to come up with his response. Does he dodge or catch the shoe? Does the shoe hit him and bounce off causing him to anger? Does the shoe knock him out? This allows him to react to the situation which in turn would allow your character to play off of his reaction.

This is just one of infinite examples. Also sorry for throwing shoes at the back of your head Crow. It had educational intent : )

This is true. You control only what your character does or is capable of doing (or not doing), but attempting to control someone else's character is unpolite and normally not admited. Only through mind control and with the other player's consent, you can manipulate certain actions of the other player.

Good one Cat!
AllastorDarkflame
AllastorDarkflame
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicep Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks for all the good information!
Bicep
Bicep
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

Post by Icebella Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:04 am

Also, if I may pitch in with my two cents... try to have a grasp of the other part's limits and boundaries.

For example, Crow may suffer PTSD for people constantly throwing shoes at him, so despite your best efforts to make it as a joke, in that specific case, it's offensive to him.

Of course, sometimes we just don't know what will trigger the other until we do, and it's impossible to just ask all possible interactions that might ever do it, but here it's where common sense, good communication, memory, and respect comes in.

If you do something that's rubs someone the wrong way, please refrain from doing in the future. If it's you on the receiving end, please try to inform the other as best as you can to avoid a similar situation in the future.

We are all humans and prone to mistakes, anyway. Now, if you excuse me, I have to throw shoes at Crow Wink
Icebella
Icebella
Sidekick
Sidekick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum